Friday 3 September 2021

Finally, a trip in the offing.

 It feels like a long time since I've been on a decent bike trip.

Oh, hang on, it is. Not since 2018 (Uganda and the Bol D'Or).  Jean and I had hoped to get to Turkey and Georgia but Covid got in the way (along with family stuff) causing us to delay that trip multiple times.

So I was pleased when my mate Dave suggested I tag along with his Southern Scandi planned trip (Denmark/Norway/Sweden).

The spreadsheet of where we could go, or not, and what tests  and quarantine were required got a bit out of hand. As the year progressed we decided to switch to Spain& France to do some heat and hills. But then France went "Amber plus".  Dave would not be able to isolate due to work if the same happend to Spain.

Really there was only one decent option left, a journey through the CTA (Common Travel Area; England, Wales, Scotland Northern Ireland and Ireland), as UK citizens we get to cross to Ireland (despite it being still in Europe) with less hassles (can be done without passport) or chances of isolation upon return.


The Peg (Peg 1) is prepped and ready to roll. Now we just need some weather.

Our route will be via Stranraer, a few days trying out some Scottish tracks, then over to Larne and of to Donegal for a week trying out the Irish equivalent. I've been very negligent and left all the road planning to Dave. 

In past (day) trips together he has led me astray over some rocky terrain and dirt. In one instance left me sliding down the road during a ford crossing, requiring some extreme roadside repairs.



 Wish me luck.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A short ride, for a beer.

It seemed like a good idea, 3rd week in October, book a ferry in 2 days time and ride to Alicante for a beer.  A friend has a h...